Wednesday, October 27, 2010

For women/men who have gone to support groups for rape and/or abuse, what are these groups like?

What exactly do you do in these groups??
Just talk about what happened?
And is it really helpful?For women/men who have gone to support groups for rape and/or abuse, what are these groups like?
I actually attended an abuse group at my old church. It offered biblical help for those of us dealing with issues that came from the abuse we suffered in our past or present state (sexual, physical, verbal, etc). It was wonderful. I have never really shared much detail about what happened to me, except with a good friend, and my husband. After sharing what happened and realizing I was a victim and that it was not my fault, I was able to live a life without unhealthy boundaries, insecurities that almost ruined my marriage and anger issues. I now know that God can work through anything, even the horrible trials in our lives. At that time I was actually teaching the classes until the people who started the ministry moved away. I am now counseling other women who have had similar experiences but not in a formal class setting, just personally. It is well worth it to attend and to get some help.
I've never been but I'm sure they are very supportive, caring, mellow, etc. With others there who can relate and whom you can heal with. If you've been a victom It would probably be much better then dealing with it alone.
yes all you do is talk you don't have to tell about yourself at first if you don't feel comfortable. yes it does help listening to other women who have gone threw what you are going threw.they are a really good support for yourself i suggest just going and checking one out you might be surprised.

No comments:

Post a Comment